Thursday 19 January 2012

Just like starting over

I went back to Weight Watchers this morning for the first time since October, and was surprised to discover that I had only gained 6.5lb since then. Not that it's good in any way to have gained half a stone, but somehow I'd expected it to be much more than that having been away from class for 3 months, with Christmas and New Year in the middle and having been very ill for much of December.

So I'm back again - this time I thought I might try blogging about it in the hope that recording my thoughts and feelings in relation to my food and exercise habits might help a bit.

I have several points of inspiration at the moment. First in this (and in so many ways) is my beloved best friend. To protect her privacy, when I talk about her here (which I'm sure I will, repeatedly) I'll call her Gladys. In the last year, Gladys has gone from a size 20ish to a 14ish through rigorous diet (not Weight Watchers, she's on the other team) and exercise. She's stuck to it like an absolute trojan, through thick and thin and she looks incredible. The difference in her is phenomenal.

My second inspiration was a photograph I encountered the other night. Not a photo of me, but a photo of a lady around the same size and shape as me, wearing only what she came into the world wearing, and doing something that she definitely wouldn't want her mother to catch her doing. (As to where I came across the photo, god bless the internet.) The photo gave me a very unpleasant feeling in the pit of my stomach - if I look like that when engaged in similar activities, it really is time to do something about it.

So - with the unwavering support of my darling husband (again, I'm sure I shall talk about him ceaselessly), Gladys and my other family and friends, here I go again. I'm sure it won't be easy, it never is. But - one day at a time, no guilt and move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment